Lesbian movies, they’re all the rage these days. And while we’re all for the trend, most people don’t know which films were trailblazing, which ones followed suit, and frankly, which ones are even good.
So here is a tastefully curated list, for women who love women… But before we proceed, one must always remember the carnal rule: In order for a film to rank in this list of the lesbian movies that made us, it needs to be first and foremost, a good movie.
Tied in 1st place:
THE HANDMAIDEN by Chan woo Park
BOUND Lily and Lana Wachowksi
Both films are great thrillers about danger and trust that inspire you to be that strong, badass lesbian. Bound is especially effective in making Lesbianism look appealing.
If you’re into WICKED RELATIONSHIPS, these next two are for you.
2. THE BITTER TEARS OF PETRA VAN KANT Rainer Werner Fassbinder
3. Muholland Drive by David Lynch
Sorry if those were a bit intense for you… But here are a few coming of age stories to wind you down (they’re no less tragic but equally romantic).
4. Thelma by Joachim Trier
Because there truly is no better way to kick things off than with a Sci-Fi coming of age movie.
5. Water Lilies by Celine Sciamma
6. My Summer of Love by Pawel Pawlikowski
This is one of my personal favorite directors. He also directed Cold War, so definitely knows how to tell a love story.
7. Show Me Love by Lukas Moodysson
8. Blue Is The Warmest Colour by Abdellatif Kechiche
Now for the history lesson: please indulge in these old school favorites, the original trailblazers of the genre.
9. Gia by Michael Christopher
10. Fire by Deepa Mehta
Every lesbian loves a bit of drama, and this movie made an absolute scandal in India when it came out in 1996.
And last but not least, the two versions of Madchen in Uniform.
11. Madchen in Uniform by Leontine Sagan and Carl Froelich
This came out in 1931!
12. Madchen in Uniform by Geza Von Radvanyi with Romy Shneider from 1958.